Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HIV/AIDS and dental problems

Hello Dr. Reznik. I am a 5th year social work student and am currently doing a work term. Part of this work term requires that I do a policy analysis. I would like to propose an increase in dental coverage for HIV/AIDS patients. The current policy in this area only allows social assistance recipients coverage for emergency extractions. I need some information to back up the necessity for increased coverage for these people. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Sue

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Sue:

Thank you for this inquiry as access to dental care for people living with HIV/AIDS is a most important issue! May I suggest that you begin your research by glancing at the Ryan White Title I grant narrative I wrote for the Oral Health Center of the Infectious Disease Program at Grady Health Systems which is available in the HIVdent Internet project at the following URL : http://www.hivdent.org/fundgnfoh0299.htm

There are several other sources of information in HIVdent's Resource Section which may prove helpful.

Best of luck!

DR

Medication's effect on teeth
mandatory hiv test for dentists