Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

ok to have wisdom teeth out?

Dear Dr, my last cd4 count was 437--am I in any danger if I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted? I believe they will use versed for sedation. Thank you

Response from Dr. Reznik

The scientific evidence shows that people living with HIV do *not* have an increased incidence of post operative complications following oral surgery as compared to people that are HIV-. In other words, it is perfectly fine for you to have your wisdom teeth out.

I do not have as simple an answer regarding the use of Versed as there does lie the potential for drug interactions with protease inhibitors. According to the most recent guidelines for use of antiretroviral therapy in adults and adolescence, Versed (midazolam) should not be used in conjunction with Indinavir, Ritonavir, Nelfinavir, or Fortovase (saquinavir).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

DR

Visit Dentist More Often?
should being hiv positive interfere with my getting titanium implants