Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Question on HIV+ 6yr old...please advise

Dear Dr,

My daughter is 6. She is healthy and asymptomatic with good counts at this time, therefore she is not on any medication.

She recently lost two of her baby teeth, the adult teeth appear to be slightly yellow/gray--not as white as the baby teeth. Also (maybe bacause I'm looking too hard) it seems some of her baby teeth appear to have changed to be slightly less white than the rest of her baby teeth. Otherwise her mouth is healthy.

Is this a common occcurence with HIV, or is this just me being overly concerned about normal fluctuation?

thank you, Rachel

Response from Dr. Reznik

Children's healthy baby teeth are naturally much whiter than healthy adult teeth and the comparison of the two can be dramatic when seen next to each other in the mouth. 

Considerations would be the possibility of staining but more normally is the yellowish effect of plaque on the teeth.  Therefore, better oral hygiene as daily brushing could be the factor.  To be certain the best approach would be to take your child to a pediatric dentist in your area for an exam.  There is also a WEB site - YOUNGSMILES.COM written by Dr.Fred Ferguson, a Pediatric Dentist- that will have information helpful to you. 

This answer is from a friend of mine, Barbara Berentsen, RDH

DR

wisdom teeth surgery
Visit Dentist More Often?