Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

wisdom teeth surgery
Aug 10, 1999

i am having a problem with my wisdom teeth i think they are coming in but the question i have is that when going to the dentist how come the dr never lets you see the needle they use and they always fill it in another room and then come in with it what are the chances that they reuse the needles and how can someone tell if it was reused.or do you just have to trust him because with everything going on today even the blood supply is not that safe something always gets through and then we the people find out years later that it has happened.what can someone do to really protect themselves?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dentists hide the needle so as not to scare our patients. For the most part, the greatest fear associated with dental care is the anesthesia or the "shot". I have several patients who, if they saw the needle, would probably run out of the room; therefore we do our best to distract patients and/or hide the syringe before anesthesia.

At the program I direct, the Oral Health Center of Grady Health System's Infectious Disease Program, we load the syringe in the patient's room. Since the needle is capped while loading the syringe, patients cannot see the needle.

Whereas I seriously doubt that any licensed dentist would even having a passing thought about reusing a needle, you have every right to bring up your concerns to your dental provider.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Diag. 9-12-99 HIV+ plus positive for Mono
Next
Question on HIV+ 6yr old...please advise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.