Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

dental caries
Feb 8, 2000

Please let me know of any HIV/AIDS medications that cause enamel breakdown or rampant caries. Please e-mail me any information you may have.

Thank You

Response from Dr. Reznik

This is a frequently asked question, that I am sorry to report does not presently have "scientific" answer. Our patients at Grady Health System's Infectious Disease Program Oral Health Center have presented with rapidly advancing dental caries as long as I can remember. We have seen this phenomenon in people on ART as well as those who have chosen not to take medications. The only occurrence that I consistently see in patients with rapidly advancing dental caries is xerostomia or dry mouth. We closely monitor all of our patients for this presentation and those who do have xerostomia we bring in for more frequent recall appointments and make sure they have extra fluoride protection. The aforementioned fluoride protection would include in office applications of Duraphat and home prescriptions for Prevident 5000 Plus, a high strength neutral sodium fluoride toothpaste.

I hope this answer addresses your concerns!

DR

Previous
What Kind Of Doctor???
Next
Wisdom Teeth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.