Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need to see a dentes
Aug 27, 1999

Dr. Reznik, I would love to be able to see you as a patient. I am having constant mouth infections (ulcers or herpes) put have tested negative so far (after at least 6 months). I really need to see an HIV dentest. My doctor and dentest here just keep giving me herpes medicine and refills with the only explaination being (just about everyone has this virus in there mouth, it just takes time to heal). It has been going on for months now off and on. Do you have a list of Docs like yourself in the south (Atlanta is too far south)? Please, please, please help. Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I am sorry to read that you are having problems with what may be recurrent herpetic infections. My advice would be as follows:

Seek out the diagnostic skills of a dentist experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology. Dental schools have departments which focus on this area of expertise.

There are dentist's experienced in HIV care, but a recognized speciality does not exist. The reasoning is that general dental care services are the same regardless of HIV status.

If you do not live near a dental educational institution or have access to an oral pathologist or dentist experienced in oral medicine, you can access the HIVdent referral system, located in the Resources Section.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Who do i go to
Next
What Kind Of Doctor???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.