The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How can I find a dentist that specializes in HIV care?
Jan 7, 2000

I have been HIV positive for around 12 years. I have been neglecting my teeth, as I have no visable cavites, and a nice, near perfect smile. My job changed recently, and I have dental insurance(HMO) and I want to find a dentist that works with HIV positive individuals. Years ago (10) I had a couple bad experiances with dentists being "terrified" to treat me, and literally shaking as they did.(Wisdom tooth extraction). My follow up visits I was treated by a dentist wearing what looked like a radiation suit from a sci-fi movie. I have since not been to a dentist. I am looking for a source to find dental care. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Any suggestions? My gums are starting to bother me in the back of my mouth. I dont want to waste my time or the dentists. They appear to be receding and I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are several mechanisms to find dentists who are comfortable providing care to people living with HIV/AIDS including the HIVdent referral system or via this Forum. Chicago has one of the best programs in the country, the Spang Center for Oral Health. Even if you do not want to visit this program they should be able to supply you with a list of private practice clinicians. Another option would be to contact the Midwest AIDS Training and Education Center (MATEC) which has an incredible dental study group.

I hope this helps!


Looking for Dentist
Who do i go to

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint