Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

coated tongue with red dots.

I have recently developed a white tongue...consistently white across the surface..and perfectly spaced red dots...it is not extremely painful but does have a bit of a burning feeling.only slight burning...near where my teeth scrape over it....possible from where i keep scraping at it with my tongue...is this thrush?...or hairy leukopenia?..or something else..thanks for any insight

Response from Dr. Reznik

What you describe sounds like a simple case of coated tongue. The perfectly spaced red dots you mention are most likely part of the normal anatomy of the tongue.

The most probable reason that you are experiencing some discomfort is due to the minor trauma caused by rubbing the sides of your tongue with your teeth.

It does not sound like anything serious is happening, but if the symptoms continue or become more pronounced, have your local dental professional take a look.

Take care,

DR

picture??
unhealthy tongue