Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

coated tongue picture
Jun 23, 1999

are you sure that isnt thrush dave?i thought my coated tongue was bad but i cant tell you what relief i got after seeing this! This looks like more than coated tongue. and you are saying that coated tongue is not related to hiv? any comments would be appreciated! by the way , i have to ask, is that the picture of YOU with coated tongue! haha, we love you for it! bye!

Response from Dr. Reznik

Yes that is the picture of my tongue. I went for about a week without brushing my tongue and due to the medications I take for sinus problems I also have dry mouth.

This is not a pretty picture, but again, coated tongue is not an opportunistic oral infection of HIV, it is just an overgrowth of bacteria on the tongue related to dry mouth, smoking, alcohol consumption, etc.

After returning to my normal oral hygiene practices, I am happy to report that my tongue looks a whole lot better these days!

Take care,

DR

Previous
RECURRENT TONGUE COATING
Next
picture??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.