Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

just a comment and 1 quesiton

hi, i wanted to agree with the guy who posted freind to millions, i too have had a TERRIBLE coating (i thought) for over a year and i went so far as to have all the pcr tests done and i just got my LAST test back (i wont be taking anymore) and it was undetectable down to 50 copies and i KNOW smoking and stress(yes stress) caused this tongue thing, it was disgusting. anyway, what i wanted to say was this, i noticed after brushing my tongue this would become a worse problem and oddly i went to a hiv specialist and asked him what he thoguht of my tongue and he said ya know, you need to watch out about brushing your tongue, he said you will develop hairy tongue. he says one of his freinds in medical school, she got into brushing her tongue and came down with the worst case of hairy tongue he had yet to ever see. now, i know it did get worse with me and as i quit doing that it got a bit better. what do youthink? anyway, i saw the pic of coated tongue and i wanted to ask are you showing that of a person who is hiv positive or negative? that is what i needed to know if you were showing that to prove that it is normal in a negative person or if that was a infected persons pic who had coated tongue. thank you,i think you are a wondreful man and you should be proud of yourself i cant tell you how much your advice means to people.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There is absolutely no truth to the statement that brushing one's tongue can lead to hairy tongue. Tongue brushing should be a part of everyone's daily oral hygiene.

It would make absolutely no difference if the picture of coated tongue on the HIVdent website is from an HIV+ or HIV- individual as the appearance would be the same.

Coated tongue is not a condition associated with HIV infection. As has been mentioned in the past, the picture and information concerning coated tongue are included to help differentiate between coated tongue and candidiasis (thrush).

Thanks for your kind comments regarding The Body's Interactive Forum and take care!

DR

Cause of coated tongue?
RECURRENT TONGUE COATING