Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coated Tongue? Something Else?
Aug 26, 1999

About two/three weeks ago I noticed my tongue was developing something of a white coating. Now it hasn't gone away... hasn't gotten worse either. It's there in the morning - but after a good brushing and tongue brushing, and some food or drink - it mostly disapears with the exception of the far back. Also, in the back are two small blister-like 'bubble'-like things... i dont know how better to describe it. I'm a 22 yr old male, a virgin, and have had only one sexual encounter - oral sex about 10 yrs ago (given & received, no ejaculation (ie male to male.. i was a kid and experimenting))... so the idea of an STD sounds absurd - but I can't help but worry and be confused...

Any ideas?

Response from Dr. Reznik

From what you describe it sounds like you have nothing more than a mild case of coated tongue. There are numerous reasons why you have coated tongue, but it is possible that you are a' mouth breather' which would explain why it is worse in the morning. You may not be able to brush your tongue far enough in the back which would explain why you still see some white areas on that region of your tongue. The two bubble-like areas you have noticed on the back of your tongue are most likely circumvallate papillae, a normal part of the anatomy of the tongue.

Hope this helps!

DR

Previous
Egads! Coated Tongue or what?
Next
Cause of coated tongue?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.