Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Coated Tongue? Something Else?

About two/three weeks ago I noticed my tongue was developing something of a white coating. Now it hasn't gone away... hasn't gotten worse either. It's there in the morning - but after a good brushing and tongue brushing, and some food or drink - it mostly disapears with the exception of the far back. Also, in the back are two small blister-like 'bubble'-like things... i dont know how better to describe it. I'm a 22 yr old male, a virgin, and have had only one sexual encounter - oral sex about 10 yrs ago (given & received, no ejaculation (ie male to male.. i was a kid and experimenting))... so the idea of an STD sounds absurd - but I can't help but worry and be confused...

Any ideas?

Response from Dr. Reznik

From what you describe it sounds like you have nothing more than a mild case of coated tongue. There are numerous reasons why you have coated tongue, but it is possible that you are a' mouth breather' which would explain why it is worse in the morning. You may not be able to brush your tongue far enough in the back which would explain why you still see some white areas on that region of your tongue. The two bubble-like areas you have noticed on the back of your tongue are most likely circumvallate papillae, a normal part of the anatomy of the tongue.

Hope this helps!

DR

Egads! Coated Tongue or what?
Cause of coated tongue?