Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Egads! Coated Tongue or what?
Aug 27, 1999

Hey Doc!

First off, thanks for all you tireless work on this site as well as HIVDENT. A quick question for you... about a month after a risky exposure, I noticed ONLY the back of my tongue was coated with a thin layer of tartar-like paste, which I am able to scrape off with my fingernail. Sounds like coated tongue, right? Well since then, the front of my tongue has become sort of, well, furry looking, and anytime I drink a coke, chew gum or eat an otherwise artificially colored food, my tongue retains the color for nearly an hour! Also, at the corners of my mouth (no cracking or bleeding), I've got these tiny little white dots (in crops, almost) which won't scrape off. I am wild with fear that this could be candidiasis, but none of this seems to fit the bill. OR DOES IT? Your comments please! Have not had a diagnostic test.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I usually start a response to a question such as this with the condition that without the ability to see what is actually occurring in your mouth, it is impossible to formulate an accurate diagnosis, therefore if you are concerned please visit a dentist experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology. With this in mind, it sounds as if you may have a combination of coated and hairy tongue. It is very common for coated and tongue to become stained by the foods you eat, so in this regard I would not worry.

You know this part of the response if coming........... If you are concerned about your HIV serostatus, the only way to be sure is to undergo a diagnostic test.

I hope this helps!

DR

Previous
coated tongue and Chlorhexidine Gluconate
Next
Coated Tongue? Something Else?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.