Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Egads! Coated Tongue or what?

Hey Doc!

First off, thanks for all you tireless work on this site as well as HIVDENT. A quick question for you... about a month after a risky exposure, I noticed ONLY the back of my tongue was coated with a thin layer of tartar-like paste, which I am able to scrape off with my fingernail. Sounds like coated tongue, right? Well since then, the front of my tongue has become sort of, well, furry looking, and anytime I drink a coke, chew gum or eat an otherwise artificially colored food, my tongue retains the color for nearly an hour! Also, at the corners of my mouth (no cracking or bleeding), I've got these tiny little white dots (in crops, almost) which won't scrape off. I am wild with fear that this could be candidiasis, but none of this seems to fit the bill. OR DOES IT? Your comments please! Have not had a diagnostic test.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I usually start a response to a question such as this with the condition that without the ability to see what is actually occurring in your mouth, it is impossible to formulate an accurate diagnosis, therefore if you are concerned please visit a dentist experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology. With this in mind, it sounds as if you may have a combination of coated and hairy tongue. It is very common for coated and tongue to become stained by the foods you eat, so in this regard I would not worry.

You know this part of the response if coming........... If you are concerned about your HIV serostatus, the only way to be sure is to undergo a diagnostic test.

I hope this helps!

DR

coated tongue and Chlorhexidine Gluconate
Coated Tongue? Something Else?