Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

coated tongue and Chlorhexidine Gluconate

I've had some strange mouth problems in recent months. My Dr. prescribed Chlorhexidine Gluconate and his initial diagnosis was 'hairy tongue'. I have not tested positive for HIV, however, am now awaiting test results.

Since starting the wash 10 days ago, the whitish look to my tongue has disappeared. However, now my tongue has dark areas on it which, -- w/ a lot of effort -- do brush off (but not easily at all).

I also have some white marks on the inside of my upper gum (these do not rub off, but appear to be in the gum.

Could I have coated tongue now? Could this be a reaction to Chlorhexidine Gluconate? One of my glads are also swollen.

I will see my dentist in 10 days time, but would most appreciate any thoughts you can share. I concerned and scared.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Concerned and scared:

Hairy tongue does stain easily and since you are using a chlorhexidine containing mouthrinse, I am not surprised that the white hairy tongue now looks black. In other words, this reaction is to be expected and you should not be scared or concerned. You are doing the right thing by following this condition with your local healthcare providers!

I hope this answer reaches you in time.

Sincerely,

DR

hairy tongue
Egads! Coated Tongue or what?