Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

mouth kote?
Nov 29, 1999

Have you ever heard of a product called mouth kote used for dry mouth? I'm considering using this to treat my coated tongue. Does this stuff work?

Thanks Jack

Response from Dr. Reznik

Mouth Kote is one of several agents used to help manage xerostomia (dry mouth), but will probably not have much of an effect in the management of coated tongue in and of itself. Whereas it is true that dry mouth can play a role in coated tongue, I suspect that you would have better results if you were to use a wetting agent, such as Mouth Kote, in combination with good oral hygiene which would include brushing your tongue at least twice a day.

Hope this helps!

DR

PS I like the products made by Laclede which include the Biotene mouthwash and Orabalance gel, better than Mouth Kote for symptoms related to xerostomia. As far as a toothpaste to use, I highly recommend Total toothpaste by Colgate due its antibacterial properties.

Previous
1 year later and still coated tongue
Next
Oral Conditions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.