Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

1 year later and still coated tongue

Dr. Reznik

14 months have passed since my seroconversion illness and i still present with coated tongue, some days worse than others. I have been to a dentist of ENT doc who said just to brush tongue. This problem is quite irritating. Since my VL is low I am not on any meds and don't drink/smoke. What in HIV causes this? Also I have some wisdom teeth that are ready to be removed, is this a possible cause of caoted tongue?

Thanks for your work here

Jack

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Jack:

Coated tongue is not related to HIV infection per say. In other words, to my knowledge there is nothing regarding the pathogenesis of HIV infection that would cause a person to present with coated tongue. We do know that the tongue coating is made up of bacteria, small particles of food, and dead cells between certain papillae of the tongue. This condition is usually more visible in people with dry mouth and those who do not brush their tongue (gently) on a regular basis.

So... Make sure you brush your tongue every day with a soft toothbrush. I would even recommend using Colgate's Total toothpaste which does have antibacterial properties and drink plenty of fluids if you have dry mouth.

I hope this helps!

DR

transmitting coated tongue
mouth kote?