Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Another trush question

Thank you for your time. Please answer these questions. Would the drug Diflucan cure bothe kinds of mouth thrush? Can you get it on the inside of your cheeks?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Both topical medications such as Mycelex troches and systemic medications such as Diflucan would be able to manage both pseudomembranous and erythematous candidiasis. Treatment should be determined by the extent of the disease. For mild to moderate presentations, which can include the sides of the cheek, I always recommend using topical therapies. I save Diflucan for moderate to severe cases since we have seen and reported an increased incidence in resistance to fluconazole.

Take care,

DR

HIVDent Picture.
Chemo Patient Needs Help Too