For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Thrush, Oral Hairy Leukoplakia, & the tongue

I'm confused about Oral Hairy Leukoplakia, Thursh, and the tongue. Does Oral Hairy Leukoplakia occur during seroconversion? Does thrush affect the tongue? Thanks for your committment to providing us with help!

Response from Dr. Reznik

To my knowledge, Oral Hairy Leukoplakia (OHL) does not occur during seroconversion, but is a manifestation seen later in HIV disease.

Thrush, or candidiasis can and does effect the tongue in two different ways:

Erythematous candidiasis, which presents as a red, flat, subtle lesion on the dorsal (top) surface of the tongue; and pseudomembranous candidiasis (thrush) which also can occur on any part of the tongue. Picture of both of these infections can be seen in the HIVdent Picture Gallery located at the following URL:

HIVDent Picture.