Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Thrush and antibiotics

Dr. Reznik,

I checked most previous answers but think this question is unique. Will thrush caused by use of broad spectrum antibiotics go away on it's own after antibiotic use is discontinued, or does it normally require treatment to clear up?

Thanks for your time... Kev

Thanks for your time

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Kev:

You ask a very good question that is a bit difficult to answer due to numerous factors that may come into play such as the person's underlying medical status, degree of the infection, etc. If it I were to acquire candidiasis based on the use of broad spectrum antibiotics, I would not wait for it to go away on its own, but would start medication as soon as the condition were diagnosed. Why walk around with an infection when you can easily manage it with either topical or systemic antifungal agents?

Hope this helps!

DR

thrush vs geogrpaphic tongue
How to treat thrush?