Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Erythematous Candidiasis

Thank you so much for this valuable site.

In 8 months and 8 dr. visits, I haven't learned anything from the dr.'s I've visited. I have learned from your site, based on the pictures, that Erythematous Candidiasis is most similar in appearence to my own. I believe I received it through oral sex with my ex-girlfriend. I intend to take printouts of many of your responses to a gastroentorologist on Thursday. I don't believe I am at risk for AIDS or diabetes. My questions are... what tests should I emphasize the doctor takes? Also, two days ago I received a deep kiss from a girl very unexpectedly... only a couple of seconds. Can she get Candidiasis from this?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Oral Health and HIV Forum and the HIVdent project, both of which are intended to help people understand the implications of oral disease. It is always good to know that through our efforts (the Faculty of HIVdent) are having the intended effect!

I am sure that your physician will know what tests are in order to give him/her an accurate assessment of your overall health. As far as the presentation in your mouth is concerned, a visit to a dentist trained in oral pathology or experienced in oral medicine would be my recommendation. They would be able to go over all of the potential risk factors including those you have mentioned plus many more.

As far as your concern regarding the possible transmission of candidiasis, be advised that candida organism occur in approximately 60% of the general population. Whether or not a person presents with an active infection is based on the underlying medical condition of said person. In other words, whereas we have evidence of fluconazole resistant candidiasis being transmitted orally, both individuals involved were severely immunocompromised.

Hope this helps!

DR

Pictures
Do I have HIV?