Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Pictures

Dr. Reznik,

In the pictures of erythemaeus(sp?) candidiasis, is it the red circle in the middle of the tongue that is the candidiasis? In the pictures, the rest of the tongue is white with a red lesion in the middle--is the white part just coated tongue or is that thrush? My tongue looks more like that pasty look in those pictures without the red lesion than it does in the pictures with thrush which look more like harder white growths if you know what I mean.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Erythematous candidiasis (EC) is a red, flat, subtle lesion that normally appears on the dorsal surface of the tongue and/or the hard and soft palates (roof of the mouth). When EC appears on the tongue, it is the red area that is somewhat smooth or depapillated. Since I am unsure as to which picture you are referring to, it is hard to answer the question about the surrounding pasty area. Most of the slides on the HIVdent website of EC are not mixed lesions. i.e. EC plus pseudomembranous candidiasis, so more likely than not, what you have referred to is a coated area.

Take care,

DR

angular cheilitis
Erythematous Candidiasis