Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

chronic chelitis

i wrote you about a month ago asking about "chronic chelitis", and you haven't answered me yet.....no other posted answers refer to this...please give me info....

Response from Dr. Reznik

For a person to present with chronic angular cheilitis, I would suspect that the underlying cause has not been addressed. Before I go on, I must mention that there are several causes of angular cheilitis such as a loss of vertical dimension of occlusion (VDO) which happens when you have ground down your teeth or are wearing an old set of dentures. I will use this underlying condition, loss of VDO, as a means to explain how chronic angular cheilitis can be managed. For people who have had a reduction in their VDO and have angular cheilitis, not only is it important to treat the infection with a topical agent such as Nizoral cream or Mycolog II, but to address the underlying reason for the infection. A loss of VDO will cause the folds of the corners of the lip to over-close and allow the moist tissues to be in contact creating an opportune environment for infection. In order to correct this condition, the person's natural VDO must be re-created. This can be done by having a new set of dentures made for edentulous ( without teeth) patients or opening up the VDO in patients who have worn their teeth down.

I hope this information proves helpful.

DR

Stress...and more stress...
Mouth corners'