Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Herpes?
Mar 15, 2000

Dr.Reznik,

Can Herpes show up on the point of your tongue? For about 9 months I have been getting a row of small bumps ( sometimes they are in a semi-circle) they seem to become more red over the week or so, the taste buds in the area vanish to a smooth colorless surface, and only toward the end of the outbreak does it hurt a little. By the end of the second week it seem to go away...However, lately another area will show up a week to a few days after it heals?

What is this, Herpes, HPV, Ulcers? I need help.

Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Reznik

As much as I would like to help you with your diagnosis, you really need to see a dentist who is experienced in oral medicine or pathology the next time these lesions occur. With this in mind, herpes virus outbreaks within the oral cavity tend to appear on keratinized tissues such as the roof of the mouth, gingiva (gums) and lips. What you have described does not sound like HSV, HPV or any type of ulceration. What you are experiencing could be anything from geographic tongue to a reaction to a food; hence the reason you should let a professional take a look the next time they occur.

Take care,

DR

Previous
tongue ulcerations
Next
Getting Oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.