Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

tongue ulcerations

About a month after a low risk exposure I got what felt like canker sores on the back sides of my tongue. I have a vitamin deficiency so mouth ulcerations are very common for me. But I found it unusual that these were on the back of my tongue. I had no fever or sore throat or feeling of fatigue. I was under a considerable amount of stress at this time. I guess my question for you is were these just regular mouth sores or could they have been something else, or possibly liked to hiv? Thank you for your time and all of your hard work is greatly appreciated!

Response from Dr. Reznik

It is not unusual for aphthous ulcerations, which can be caused by certain vitamin deficiencies, to be present on the posterior, lateral borders of the tongue. These painful ulcers can present on any non-keratinized tissues within the oropharynx. Since you have a history of oral ulcerations and mentioned that you were under considerable stress at the time (another cause of aphthous ulcerations), my first impression would be that what you experienced was, at least for you, "regular mouth sores".

Hope this information helps!

DR

How to find a dentist without worry of HIV transmission
Herpes?