Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HIV & caries

Hello Dr. Reznik:

Not really a question, but a thanks for your October 1999 reply to a question about HIV & cavities. I've long heard conflicting reports about accelerated tooth decay & HIV; some practitioners believe they've seen it and others don't.

I've been positive since the early '80s. Since my CD4 count declined below 300 in the mid '90s, I found that my incidence and progression rate of cavities and tooth decay increased dramatically. My financial situation changed in 1996 and I've had to forego routine dental since (Medicare won't pay for routine dentistry), but as a result have been loosing teeth rapidly. I'm hoping I'll be able to simply have the remaining ones out as expeditiously as possible, get dentures and be done with it.

I've been frustrated by the lack of research into HIV & cavities, and appreciate hearing you report on the experience of you and your group.

Best regards,

Phillip

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Phillip:

It greatly upsets me to hear that you have had to forgo routine dental care and have been losing teeth rapidly. The Ryan White CARE Act, which covers care and services for people living HIV/AIDS as the payer of last resort, does offer dental care services. The Oral Health Center as well as the rest of the Infectious Disease Program of Grady Health System is primarily funded through the CARE Act and we offer comprehensive dental care services to all of our patients . Your oral health is key component of your well-being. Connecticut does receive Title I, II and III dollars and dental services should be available. Part F of the CARE Act includes the Dental Reimbursement Program which has the following grantees:

School of Dental Medicine

University of Connecticut Health Center

Farmington, CT

Department of Dentistry

St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center

Hartford, CT

Department of Dentistry

Yale-New Haven Hospital

New Haven, CT

I hope this information enables to receive the proper care necessary!

DR

HPV roof of mouth
Thrush, an HIV/AIDS side effect