Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HPV roof of mouth
Mar 30, 2000

I have had HPV cut out of my mouth once before and it has come back. It was tested by a Lab. and it was HPV. Will this be something I will have to contend with the rest of my life? Is there medication I can take to keep this from comming back? Will it go away on its own or will I have to have it cut out all the time? This worries me that I might pass it on to my wife. I had venereal warts over 30 yrs. ago and my wife over 15 yrs. ago has it take this long to surface in my mouth? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from comming back? I hope you can help with some of these questions.

Response from Dr. Reznik

The first point I would like to make is that we are seeing an increase in the prevalence of oral HPV in people living with HIV in the HAART era. I must admit that the research as to why we are seeing an increase in the incidence of oral warts is just beginning to "heat up" and from what I have read and from data we have collected it is evident that many questions remain unanswered. The good news is that the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research has recently announced a new effort to study why we are seeing oral warts.

To address your question, the biggest problem we face in the management of oral warts is recurrence. There are several methods being utilized to remove oral papillomavirus including surgery, laser surgery and cryotherapy. Since cryotherapy tends to be the least painful and invasive of the procedures previously mentioned, it is the one we choose to use in our Oral Health Center. Case presentations are available to view in the Viral Section of the HIVdent Picture Gallery of Common Oral Manifestations.

I regret not being able to be of more assistance, but this is an area that we are actively researching and I hope to have better news in the near future.

Sincerely,

DR

Previous
tongue bumps
Next
HIV & caries

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.