Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

tongue bumps
Apr 24, 2000

A couple of months ago I had some pretty bad ulcers on my tongue. These recurred for a month and then departed. I was left with thinking that the bumps at the back of my tongue were enlarged. This seems to be borne out with scrutiny. I've checked my 'bumps' against those of my partner, and they do indeed appear to be swollen. They are not sore however, but are causing me concern.

Thanks

Sarah

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Sarah:

As I mentioned in a previous response, you are describing circumvallate papillae, which are a part of the normal anatomy of your tongue. As with other features we all share, the appearance may vary from person to person. I would check to make sure that your papillae are the same size on each side of the tongue. If one is substantially different than the other, I would have a dentist who is experienced in oral pathology or oral surgery take a look.

DR

Previous
Bleeding from gums when brushing
Next
HPV roof of mouth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.