Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

tongue bumps

A couple of months ago I had some pretty bad ulcers on my tongue. These recurred for a month and then departed. I was left with thinking that the bumps at the back of my tongue were enlarged. This seems to be borne out with scrutiny. I've checked my 'bumps' against those of my partner, and they do indeed appear to be swollen. They are not sore however, but are causing me concern.

Thanks

Sarah

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Sarah:

As I mentioned in a previous response, you are describing circumvallate papillae, which are a part of the normal anatomy of your tongue. As with other features we all share, the appearance may vary from person to person. I would check to make sure that your papillae are the same size on each side of the tongue. If one is substantially different than the other, I would have a dentist who is experienced in oral pathology or oral surgery take a look.

DR

Bleeding from gums when brushing
HPV roof of mouth