Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Depressed
Apr 24, 2000

Dear Doctor,

first of all thanks for what you are doing on your site..I appreciate your work greatly. Lately I have developed a white/creamy coating at the back of my tongue. I can scrape it off easily even with my nails, and I usually brush it off everyday. The problem is that it grows very quickly. I smoke and im 21 years old. I have noticed a number of changes in my body lately, and I am getting very depressed and paranoid that I might be HIV+. I know the best way is to test myself, but im afraid.

The surface of the front part of my tongue has become a little hard, and has faded a little. It is not a growth, just a little change in colour.

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Reznik

You mention two factors in this question which would lead me to believe you have nothing more than a case of coated tongue:

1. smoking

2. anxiety

Both of these can lead to the development of coated tongue which is not related in any way to HIV infection. If you are concerned about your HIV status to the point that it is depressing you, please take the time to have a HIV diagnostic test. I know from personal experience that this is easier said than done, but with today's medical advances it is much better to know your status and seek out medical care than to let HIV go undetected.

Sincerely,

DR

Previous
Condoms risk?
Next
OHL as only symptom..or not OHL at all??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.