Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

oral hairy leukoplakia or oral ulcer??

Hi doctor...

I have been fairly worried after a lowish risk encounter.

About the month after the encounter I got what felt like a tiny absolutely painless pimple on the inside of my cheek. It was gone within a day. About 3 days later I got the exact same thing.

I had no other symptoms except for diarrhea at the time.

Does this sound like an oral ulcer or oral hairy leukoplakia.

thank you so much for your time

Response from Dr. Reznik

What you have described does not sound with like Oral Hairy Leukoplakia (OHL) or an oral ulcer. OHL presents as a white, corrugated lesion on the lateral border of the tongue which will not wipe away. Oral ulcers or aphthous ulcers usually present as a white or yellowish pseudomembrane covering the ulcer with a red hallow.

Without seeing the area, there is no way for me to offer an accurate diagnosis. With this in mind, you may be seeing nothing more than the results of cheek biting. The next time this presents, please take the time to visit your dentist for a better idea of what is occurring.

DR

oral sex and hiv?
Condoms risk?