Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

bleeding gums during brushing time

It seems that whenever I brush my teeth, I hit a portion of my gums which easily bleeds from my toothbrush. It doesn't happen all the time. But what's the cause of this? Can it be fixed for a stronger gums. Am I deficient in vitamins?

Response from Dr. Reznik

What you are describing sounds very much like gingivitis, an inflammation of the gingival (gum) tissues which is very, very common in the general population. First, I would suggest that you schedule a dental examination with x-rays to accurately determine the cause of your bleeding. The dentist/dental hygienist may tell you that you have gingivitis or periodontitis and will suggest a course of action. For general information on periodontitis and gingivitis you can visit the Dental Patient Education Section of HIVdent located at: http://www.hivdent.org/_peag/peagindex.htm

Second, check the condition of our toothbrush. Once the bristles on a toothbrush begin to "flare out" it is time to change it. Always use a soft toothbrush.

I hope this information helps!

DR

Worried about Hairy Leukoplakia
what exactly does thrush look like?