Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Erythematous Candidiasis - Maybe?

Does erythematous candidiasis manifest as splotches that wander around your tongue. I frequently get painless splotches that will appear in one place, go away and then re-appear somewhere else. They are usually on the sides of my tongue but once or twice have appeared in the middle. The splotches SOMETIMES have white borders, which tend to disappear before the red center. I can sometimes go for almost a between spots. Can geographic tongue appear in the middle of the tongue or just on the sides?

Response from Dr. Reznik

It is possible for erythematous candidiasis to present anywhere in the oral cavity, but there is a strong predilection for this manifestation to appear on the dorsal surface (top) of the tongue and/or the hard or soft palates (roof of the mouth). The erythematous version of candidiasis does tend to be symptomatic with the most common complaints being pain or burning when drinking or eating salty or spicy foods.

Geographic tongue can present anywhere on the tongue, does have white borders, and to directly answer your question, can appear on the dorsal surface the tongue. Many times people will have geographic tongue that is not symptomatic. Whenever I hear the description wander around the tongue, the first thought that comes to mind is geographic tongue.

Take care,

DR

geographic tongue
Worried about Hairy Leukoplakia