Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Erythematous Candidiasis - Maybe?
Apr 24, 2000

Does erythematous candidiasis manifest as splotches that wander around your tongue. I frequently get painless splotches that will appear in one place, go away and then re-appear somewhere else. They are usually on the sides of my tongue but once or twice have appeared in the middle. The splotches SOMETIMES have white borders, which tend to disappear before the red center. I can sometimes go for almost a between spots. Can geographic tongue appear in the middle of the tongue or just on the sides?

Response from Dr. Reznik

It is possible for erythematous candidiasis to present anywhere in the oral cavity, but there is a strong predilection for this manifestation to appear on the dorsal surface (top) of the tongue and/or the hard or soft palates (roof of the mouth). The erythematous version of candidiasis does tend to be symptomatic with the most common complaints being pain or burning when drinking or eating salty or spicy foods.

Geographic tongue can present anywhere on the tongue, does have white borders, and to directly answer your question, can appear on the dorsal surface the tongue. Many times people will have geographic tongue that is not symptomatic. Whenever I hear the description wander around the tongue, the first thought that comes to mind is geographic tongue.

Take care,

DR

Previous
geographic tongue
Next
Worried about Hairy Leukoplakia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.