Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Root Canal Caused Herpes??
Apr 24, 2000

Last week, I had an endodontist perform a root canal (tooth #18) in a single office visit. Within days, several sores formed in my mouth, both beside and behind this tooth. The one behind the tooth was particularly painful and I thought it to be a canker sore - every time my tongue hit it, I winced in pain. To alleviate the pain, I rinsed with warm salt water, took tylenol and even applied a topical gel called Zilactin B, with little or no real relief. Just two days ago, I developed razor sharp pain in my mouth and throat on the same side as my root canal. It hurt to drink, eat and swallow and the pain began to radiate in my ear as well. Today, I went to visit my ENT doctor and he informed me that I have a "nerve virus" that is either herpital or two other types (cocchageal? can't recall the names) and he prescribed Famvir, an anti-viral drug.

Could the root canal have caused this virus? If so, how? I believe it's too much of a coincidence that I developed this virus so soon after my dental work.

Is this virus contagious? I certainly don't want to infect my boyfriend with this....the pain is awful.

Will I now need to begin taking antibiotics prior to each dentist visit since I've had this virus? I'm scheduled to visit my dentist for a regular exam in several days.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Root canal therapy can be traumatic to the tissues surrounding the tooth, therefore it is possible for this event to activate latent herpetic virus and cause an outbreak. If this be the case, then Famvir would be an acceptable medication. After a few days of the medication you should no longer be producing virus, therefor you should not be contagious. I would refrain from "deep kissing" until the area is healed.

I would not rule out a dental problem as the cause of your recent distress. I have seen numerous patients who have the symptoms you have described (radiating pain from the mouth to the throat and ear) where the cause was related to a tooth. Since you have a scheduled appointment with your dentist soon, please make sure you discuss these recent events.

I would not recommend that you pre-medicate with an antiviral agent unless this become a recurrent problem.

Feel better soon!

DR

Previous
Any more Pics of Coated Tongue?
Next
geographic tongue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.