Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

post care for wisdom teeth
May 2, 2000

I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth removed 4 days ago. I began eating soft food today, such as macaroni and baked potato. I am concerned that food is stuck in the socket where my teeth were removed. Is this a danger and should I do any thing about it

Thank you so much

Jennifer

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Jennifer:

It is important for you to try and keep the sockets as clean as possible. Rinsing gently with an antimicrobial mouthwash such as PerioGard (chlorhexidine gluconate) or Betadine mouth rinse for the first 10 days to two weeks will prove beneficial. If after a few weeks you still have the feeling that food is being trapped, a diluted hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse such as Peroxyl will help "bubble out" some of the debris and food that may become trapped.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Erythematous candidiasis as primary infection symptom?
Next
Is this possible?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.