Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

On going root canal pain?

DR REZNIK, 1000 THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS! BRIEFLY I HAVE BEEN ON ANTIVIRALS (SUSTIVA, D4T & 3TC) 4 ABOUT 2.5 YEARS AND HIV POS. FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS PRIOR. DOING GREAT! I THINK - HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VL<50 & T-CELLS 211-218, BUT FEEL GOOD AND HEALTHY. WHAT ARE #'S ANYWAY? MY ONLY REAL PROBLEMS ARE DENTAL. AFTER 3 YEARS AND 3 DENTISTS (WITH FULL DISCLOSURE) STILL SUFFERING. 1ST ROOT CANAL 2YEARS AGO AND ANOTHER ONE 6 MONTHS AGO. BOTH ARE STILL PAINFUL AND SENSITIVE MOST OF THE TIME. ALL THE X-RAYS AND EXAMS SHOW NOTHING - BOTH HAVE NEW CROWNS ON THEM. IF I TAKE AND STAY ON CIPROFLAXIN (250MG) A DAY, ALL IS NORMAL. DENTIST SAYS IT IS ALL IN MY HEAD. I ALSO DEVELOPED SHINGLES AFTER THE FIRST ROOT CANAL & TAKE ACYCLOVIR? (GREEN PILL) DURING THESE TWITCHING SPELLS FOR 5 DAYS. CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A DENTIST OR ENT THAT KNOWS WHAT IS UP! CAN YOU SUGGEST SOMETHING?? DETRIMENTAL IN DENVER,CO. THANKS

Response from Dr. Reznik

First off, your HIV status does not have any effect on dental treatment. In other words, the fact that you are HIV positive and on HAART would have absolutely no effect on the outcome of root canal therapy or any other dental procedure.

My advice: visit a root canal specialist (endodontist). There are many possible reasons why you are having problems with your endodontically treated teeth including extra "canals" and fracture. Endodontists specialize in root canals and deal with problem teeth all day long. Approximately 95% of all root canals are successful, which means about 5% are not. I, for one, have had a root canal that failed and had to have another procedure performed.

Take care and feel better soon!

DR

please help
Erythematous candidiasis as primary infection symptom?