Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Acute Necrotising Ulcerative Gingivitis

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from coming back again and again? After a course of Metronidazole, a week or two later I develop it again!

Please help

Yours

Stephen James

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Stephen:

ANUG is related to many factors including stress, improper nutrition, lack of sleep, etc., which is one reason why ANUG is seen so often in students. One way to avoid repeated bouts of ANUG would be to address the underlying cause.

Systemic antibiotic therapy alone is not sufficient treatment for ANUG; you would need a thorough professional dental cleaning as well. For my patients who present with this condition, I also prescribe PerioGard mouth rinse (.12% chlorhexidine gluconate) to be used twice daily for two weeks.

Feel better soon!

DR

Mouth Sores and Kissing
gingivitis serious