Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mouth Sores and Kissing
May 17, 2000

Hello Dr I have a real quick question....I have a mild case of Gum disease...and My gums often bleed when brushed..although lately they haven't been bleeding that much anymore cause I'm getting treatment..I also have braces and often have a lot of canker sores in my mouth and Other sores made by the braces (usually 2-4 canker sores at a time) Should I be worried at all when French Kissing a girl? Is it best to refrain from that or just live life? Thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

If you take your time and brush your teeth according to the instructions you have received from your dental office, you should not continue to have a problem with bleeding gums. People who have orthodontic appliances (braces) have to work a lot harder to keep everything clean. It is very important that you pay close attention while brushing to prevent more serious periodontal (gum) diseases. So, brush as directed and you will have nothing to worry about when kissing, at least in regards to your gum problems.

As far as the ulcers or sores go, there are materials your orthodontist can recommend that will prevent your appliance from causing irritations in the first place. Finally, would you want to French kiss a girl who had cold sores in her mouth? Hopefully out of respect to that person, the answer would be NO.

Hope this helps!

DR

Previous
HIV related?
Next
Acute Necrotising Ulcerative Gingivitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.