Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Mouth Sores and Kissing

Hello Dr I have a real quick question....I have a mild case of Gum disease...and My gums often bleed when brushed..although lately they haven't been bleeding that much anymore cause I'm getting treatment..I also have braces and often have a lot of canker sores in my mouth and Other sores made by the braces (usually 2-4 canker sores at a time) Should I be worried at all when French Kissing a girl? Is it best to refrain from that or just live life? Thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

If you take your time and brush your teeth according to the instructions you have received from your dental office, you should not continue to have a problem with bleeding gums. People who have orthodontic appliances (braces) have to work a lot harder to keep everything clean. It is very important that you pay close attention while brushing to prevent more serious periodontal (gum) diseases. So, brush as directed and you will have nothing to worry about when kissing, at least in regards to your gum problems.

As far as the ulcers or sores go, there are materials your orthodontist can recommend that will prevent your appliance from causing irritations in the first place. Finally, would you want to French kiss a girl who had cold sores in her mouth? Hopefully out of respect to that person, the answer would be NO.

Hope this helps!

DR

HIV related?
Acute Necrotising Ulcerative Gingivitis