Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Thrush / HIV - ??

I was diagnosed with thrush in late January. Since I was at risk for HIV infection I was tested and it was negative. About 1 month ago the thrush came back. I was tested for HIV 2 weeks ago and the results were negative again. Could my thrush be from being infected with HIV? When will I be sure the the HIV test is correct?

Response from Dr. Reznik

The answer to this question depends on a few factors:

First, when were you last at risk via a potential exposure? The CDC still holds that one should be tested 6 months after the last exposure, even though most agree the tests we use today are accurate at 3 months.

Second, there are several potential reasons why you are presenting with thrush (candidiasis) other than HIV infection such as diabetes, use of certain medications including broad spectrum antibiotics, systemic steroids, steroid-containing asthma inhalers, etc.

Take care,

DR

WIPE AWAY THRUSH -- WHEN DOES IT COME BACK?
identifying oral candidiasis