Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

What is this stuff, Doc?

Hi Mr. Reznik! I'm having this mouth problem! My tongue is sometimes white and sometimes not. This happens throughout the day. It seems that after I drink or eat something, the whiteness goes away, but if nothing has been in my mouth for a while my tongue is kind of white. It is also better after I brush, which is twice a day. My mouth is quite dry, too. I am a 21 year old female in good health ( i hope ). I also smoke and have allergies. Could those combinations make my mouth dry? Could a dry mouth cause the coated tongue? Any suggestions? Thank you so much for all the help you give to many people!! What a big heart you have to answer so many questions with probably so little free time on your hands! Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Thanks for the kind comments in this message!

What you have described does sound like a mild case of coated tongue. You mentioned two factors which can lead to coated tongue:

1. dry mouth

2. smoking

You are quite observant to notice that this condition appears better after brushing. The best advice I can offer would be to quite smoking, which I very much realize is easier said than done, continue to keep up the good work with your oral hygiene and try and keep well hydrated i.e. drink plenty of fluids. Saliva has properties which help to keep you mouth clean.

Take care,

DR

bumps
WIPE AWAY THRUSH -- WHEN DOES IT COME BACK?