Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is this stuff, Doc?
Jun 11, 2000

Hi Mr. Reznik! I'm having this mouth problem! My tongue is sometimes white and sometimes not. This happens throughout the day. It seems that after I drink or eat something, the whiteness goes away, but if nothing has been in my mouth for a while my tongue is kind of white. It is also better after I brush, which is twice a day. My mouth is quite dry, too. I am a 21 year old female in good health ( i hope ). I also smoke and have allergies. Could those combinations make my mouth dry? Could a dry mouth cause the coated tongue? Any suggestions? Thank you so much for all the help you give to many people!! What a big heart you have to answer so many questions with probably so little free time on your hands! Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Thanks for the kind comments in this message!

What you have described does sound like a mild case of coated tongue. You mentioned two factors which can lead to coated tongue:

1. dry mouth

2. smoking

You are quite observant to notice that this condition appears better after brushing. The best advice I can offer would be to quite smoking, which I very much realize is easier said than done, continue to keep up the good work with your oral hygiene and try and keep well hydrated i.e. drink plenty of fluids. Saliva has properties which help to keep you mouth clean.

Take care,

DR

Previous
bumps
Next
WIPE AWAY THRUSH -- WHEN DOES IT COME BACK?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.