Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Irritated/dry tongue, sore throat in the afternoon
Jun 11, 2000

Dr Reznik,

I'm experiencing some oral irritation. It is never there when I wake up in the morning, but later in the day I get a feeling of something dripping from the back of my nose down into my throat, and there is some itching in my throat. My tongue also feels dry, or "rough". My tongue looks perfectly fine as do my gums and palate - i e no patches, ulcers or lesions. I tend to rub my tongue against the roof of my mouth a lot, sort of to feel if it's alright; I guess this only increases the feeling of roughness on the tongue. I have been under some stress lately. What could this be?

Response from Dr. Reznik

When looking at factors which lead to dry mouth, stress is always at or near the top of the list. Also, I would suggest you visit your primary care provider to rule out post-sinus nasal drip as the cause of the feeling you have of something dripping from the back of your nose down into your throat. To answer your question, it appears you are dealing with minor oral irritation dues to stress induced xerostomia (dry mouth). Please take the time to visit your physician to address the sinus issue.

DR

Previous
still very scared
Next
Shape of Hairy Leukoplakia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.