Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

still very scared
Jun 11, 2000

hi doc, are you on vacation? I wrote to you about 2 weeks ago but haven't seen any new responses since 5/18/00. My question was regarding dry mouth and a burning sensation. I had a low risk encounter where a table dancer fondled me with her saliva in her hand. Everyone i've spoke to says its not a mode of transmission but i never had dry mouth or burning before. after the incident i took 18-500mg tetracycline and about 5-500mg keflex to kill anything i might have caught, then about 2 1/2 weeks later got these symptoms. i tested neg. at 4 weeks and again at 11 weeks. my Dr. put me on mycelex troches 3 separate times, no change, and the he put me on Diflucan 100mg, 1 a day for ten days then again for another 7 days, still no change, so he decided it must not be thrush. What do you think, and do you think i'm safe? Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I must apologize for the delay in these responses, but due to my clinical responsibilities, recent lecture schedule and time spent in DC working towards reauthorization of the Ryan White CARE Act with fellow members of the CAEAR Coalition, I have been out of pocket for the last several weeks.

To address your question: 1. you have been given good information from those you have spoken with regarding the potential risk you have described. HIV is not transmitted via saliva which explains why sharing eating utensils, drinking from shared glasses and the event you have described are not considered to put a person at risk.

2. On the other hand, you do not have to have erythematous candidiasis to present with dry mouth and/or a burning sensation in your mouth. HIV-infection itself would not be diagnosed or suspected based on these symptoms alone as well. Both medications prescribed for suspected candidiasis are excellent and would have addressed this infection if present.

What could be causing the symptoms? A dry mouth itself would allow for the tender mucosal surfaces of your mouth to burn. Without the normal protective properties of saliva present, it is very easy to irritate these surfaces.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Erythematous candidiasis
Next
Irritated/dry tongue, sore throat in the afternoon

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.