Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Implants for HIV+ Patient?

I recently lost a tooth to severe gum disease. After several sessions of root scaling, and some oral surgery, we've apparently gotten the periodontal problems under control. I have read that Implants have a limited chance of success in an HIV+ patient. The tooth I want to replace is a far back molar and cannot be bridged. My perio doc says "go for it" but I'd like someone more familiar with HIV issues to let me know what "current thinking" is re: implants and HIV. BTW: my CD4's are in the mid 500's, and viral load is under 500copies/ml.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There is no reason that you should not be able to proceed with implants if your periodontal condition is stabilized. It is very important to point out that dental care for people living with HIV is no different than for those who do not have HIV infection. There is sometimes an incorrect perception that HIV positive individuals will not heal as well. Research has shown that HIV positive individuals do not have any more post operative complications when compared to HIV negative individuals.

So as your periodontist said: Go for it!

DR

Thrush
erythematous candidiasis caused by HIV or antibiotics?