The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

erythematous candidiasis
Jun 26, 2000

Dr. Reznik

I had unprotected vaginal intercourse in December.(she tested neg. in Dec. but not exclusive relationship) Since then we had intercourse a couple more times but strictly with condoms. I did allow a brief unprotected oral sex performed by her (not me) briefly. I also inserted my fingers into her vagina a couple of times then washed my hands. I tested negative at 1, 4.5, and 6 mo after the unprotected intercourse. I have had a cough (Some phlegm) for a couple weeks. My doctor said Bronchitis gave me zithromax for 5 days. I believe that it's A little better but I think I am have erythematous candidiasis now. I have red splotches on the roof of my mouth towards the back. (no real fever or other symptoms other than Bronchitis) Could this be seroconversion because of my "fingering" or allowing brief oral sex?

Thank you

Very Anxious

Response from Dr. Reznik

Since you have indicated a negative HIV test 6 months after unprotected intercourse and have not participated in any high risk activities since (this assumption is based on the contents of this question), I would very much doubt that seroconversion illness is the cause of the oral problems you have described. There are numerous other reasons why a person may present with candidiasis such as use of broad spectrum antibiotics which you indicated you are on.

Take care,


tongue problem s=o=s
Erythematous Candidiasis vs. Geographic Tongue

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint