Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

culture question

dear doctor, recently i went to an ear, nose and throat doctor and he took a culture of my tongue, would that show such things as thrush and oropharyngeal candidiasis? would that come up on the culture? --thanks for all your great help!!!

Response from Dr. Reznik

It is very possible that your results, no matter what your medical history, will come back positive for Candida species as these organisms are present in approximately 60% of the general population. We refer to this as a commensal organism. This does not mean that 60% of the population will develop candidiasis, just that the primary organism associated with"thrush" is commonly found and will only lead to candidiasis if there is a change in medication or underlying medical condition.

I hope this helps!

DR

thrush and antibiotics
Gastrointestinal Health And Hiv