Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

PLEASE ANSWER THIS WORRIED SICK

I HAVE CONTINUALLY HAD MOUTH SORES FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL DR.S ALL TELL ME SOMETHING DIFFERENT IT SOMETIMES HAS A WHITE PLACE THAT RUBS RIGHT OFF BUT MOSTLY JUST RED AND SORE. I AM HEALTHY OTHER THAN THIS. COULD THIS BE THE ONLY SYMPTOM I'M HAVING AFTER 4 YEARS. I HAVE BEEN TESTED 2X AND THEY WERE NEG. I WAITED 3 YRS FOR THE FIRST TEST AND THEN A YR LATER TESTED AGAIN WITH NO POSSIBLE EXPOSURE. WOULD THAT BE LONG ENOUGH TO RULE OUT HIV INFECTION. PLEASE HELP I'M CONVINCED I'M HIV POS BECAUSE OF THE MOUTH PROBLEMS SHOULD I RETEST

Response from Dr. Reznik

An important fact I always point out is that none of the oral manifestations seen in association with HIV infection are only seen in with HIV/AIDS. I usually use candidiasis as the example as people can present with this fungal infection due to several potential underlying medical reasons such as uncontrolled diabetes, use of steroid containing asthma inhalers, systemic steroids, broad spectrum antibiotics, etc.

Since you stated you have tested negative twice for HIV with no possible exposure, I seriously doubt that HIV would be the cause of your continuing problem with "mouth sores". I would recommend that you visit a dentist who is experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology to determine what it is you are actually experiencing as well as a potential cause.

Take care and feel better soon!

DR

medication question
Oral Ulcers