Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE ANSWER THIS WORRIED SICK
Jul 11, 2000

I HAVE CONTINUALLY HAD MOUTH SORES FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL DR.S ALL TELL ME SOMETHING DIFFERENT IT SOMETIMES HAS A WHITE PLACE THAT RUBS RIGHT OFF BUT MOSTLY JUST RED AND SORE. I AM HEALTHY OTHER THAN THIS. COULD THIS BE THE ONLY SYMPTOM I'M HAVING AFTER 4 YEARS. I HAVE BEEN TESTED 2X AND THEY WERE NEG. I WAITED 3 YRS FOR THE FIRST TEST AND THEN A YR LATER TESTED AGAIN WITH NO POSSIBLE EXPOSURE. WOULD THAT BE LONG ENOUGH TO RULE OUT HIV INFECTION. PLEASE HELP I'M CONVINCED I'M HIV POS BECAUSE OF THE MOUTH PROBLEMS SHOULD I RETEST

Response from Dr. Reznik

An important fact I always point out is that none of the oral manifestations seen in association with HIV infection are only seen in with HIV/AIDS. I usually use candidiasis as the example as people can present with this fungal infection due to several potential underlying medical reasons such as uncontrolled diabetes, use of steroid containing asthma inhalers, systemic steroids, broad spectrum antibiotics, etc.

Since you stated you have tested negative twice for HIV with no possible exposure, I seriously doubt that HIV would be the cause of your continuing problem with "mouth sores". I would recommend that you visit a dentist who is experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology to determine what it is you are actually experiencing as well as a potential cause.

Take care and feel better soon!

DR

Previous
medication question
Next
Oral Ulcers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.