The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

medication question
Jul 11, 2000

dear doctor, i have been experiencing reoccurring boats of oropharyngeal candidiasis due to heavy antibiotic use when i was a child. I use to use nystatin and mycelex troches and they use to help but its been a year of being on and off them and now they don't help.part of that problem is because the doctors where i live kept me on them for less than 2 weeks and it kept coming back . what other medications can i try? by the way this web sight is great and your help with such a strange problem has been amazing, thank you!!!

Response from Dr. Reznik

The main questions I would have are:

1. are you actually experiencing oropharyngeal candidiasis, as previous use of antibiotics in childhood would not be a risk factor for the development of this condition in adulthood

2. If you are experiencing oropharyngeal candidiasis, the choice of medications would depend on the extent of the infection. For instance, mild to moderate infections should be treated with topical preparations such as Mycelex troches for a period of two weeks. Moderate to severe infections should be treated with a systemic medication such as Diflucan 200 mg on day one, the 100 mg a day for the rest of a two week period of time. It is very important to continue therapy the entire two week treatment period to help prevent recurrence.

If you have success with one of the above treatments and continue to have recurrent bouts of candidiasis, we recommend retreating for two weeks and then dissolve one Mycelex troche in your mouth three times a day to prevent the infection from returning.

I hope this information proves helpful.



Dental surgery and Osteomyelitis[Foot and Mouth]

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint