Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

candidiasis of the lip?

Dear Dr.,

I have been doctoring now for about a year and a half and am in the process of seeking yet a third opinion. I have had an irritation on the middle part of my lower lip. The first dermatologist I visited diagnosed it as pre-cancer keratosis. I went through efudex therapy, but it reappeared. Three cauterizations later,I decided to get a second opinion. Dermatologist number 2 took one look and assured me I had a yeast infection. He gave me a shot in the lip and I felt great for a couple of months, but now I am on the Nystatin swish and Nystatin cream and at times feel like I am getting somewhere, but as soon as I stop the medication it reappears. I am certain I am not HIV positive and am not even close to having diabetes. I am in overall good health, but must add that I have been plagued with recurrent vaginal yeast infections that have been diagnosed as a symptom of changing hormonal levels associated with menopause.

If you could shed any light on this mystery, or make any suggestions as to how I should succeed, I would be most grateful. TH

Thank you Dr.

Response from Dr. Reznik

As much as I would like to be of assistance, without the ability to actually see the area in question it is impossible for me to even suggest a reasonable diagnosis. With this in mind, I do have a suggestion for you. You have mentioned that you have been to two dermatologists. Whereas I have the utmost respect for dermatologists and have learned a great deal from those I have worked with over the years, they are not as familiar with oral or peri-oral conditions as would be a dentist experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology. Hence my advice: locate one of the aforementioned oral health experts for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan of the irritation on your lip

Best of luck!

DR

Yeast Culture Procedures
localized swelling on the gum