Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

candidiasis of the lip?
Jul 25, 2000

Dear Dr.,

I have been doctoring now for about a year and a half and am in the process of seeking yet a third opinion. I have had an irritation on the middle part of my lower lip. The first dermatologist I visited diagnosed it as pre-cancer keratosis. I went through efudex therapy, but it reappeared. Three cauterizations later,I decided to get a second opinion. Dermatologist number 2 took one look and assured me I had a yeast infection. He gave me a shot in the lip and I felt great for a couple of months, but now I am on the Nystatin swish and Nystatin cream and at times feel like I am getting somewhere, but as soon as I stop the medication it reappears. I am certain I am not HIV positive and am not even close to having diabetes. I am in overall good health, but must add that I have been plagued with recurrent vaginal yeast infections that have been diagnosed as a symptom of changing hormonal levels associated with menopause.

If you could shed any light on this mystery, or make any suggestions as to how I should succeed, I would be most grateful. TH

Thank you Dr.

Response from Dr. Reznik

As much as I would like to be of assistance, without the ability to actually see the area in question it is impossible for me to even suggest a reasonable diagnosis. With this in mind, I do have a suggestion for you. You have mentioned that you have been to two dermatologists. Whereas I have the utmost respect for dermatologists and have learned a great deal from those I have worked with over the years, they are not as familiar with oral or peri-oral conditions as would be a dentist experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology. Hence my advice: locate one of the aforementioned oral health experts for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan of the irritation on your lip

Best of luck!

DR

Previous
Yeast Culture Procedures
Next
localized swelling on the gum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.