Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

White Tongue

My tongue is coated with a white color and is accompanied with bad breathe often. I wear dentures and have for thirty years. I am 58 years of age, overweight and heterosexual and have what appears to be a very normal life. I use mouthwash or tooth paste once a day but it doesnt seem to help. Should I consult my dentist or is this a normal happening. Thank You

Response from Dr. Reznik

The acrylic base of dentures can be a carrier for many organisms including those that cause thrush, therefore it is very important that you clean and disinfect your dentures at least once a day. If you are having problems with malodor, you may wish to increase this regimen to at least twice a day. Also, it is very important that you brush your tongue as bacteria can grow on the surface and lead to malodor.

I suggest you try soaking your dentures in a .12% chlorhexidine suspension, such as PerioGard, for a few weeks as well as brush your tongue and rinse out at least twice daily.

I hope this information proves helpful!

DR

Get Tested
dental offices and patients