Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

I can't brush my teeth

David A. Reznik,D.D.S Hope you can help. Last year in Feb. I had my frst hiv test, It came back at 50 t cells and 300,000 viral load. Started meds within a few weeks my viral load was undetectable and after a year my tcounts are aboout 400. The problem I'm have is about 4 weeks ago every time I brush my teeth I start gaging and several times I vomit and its sometimes violent dry heaves. I tried diffrent tootpast but nothing seems to work. Have you ever seen anything like this? Thanks and keep up the great work.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Pre-rinsing with a bit of salt water may help reduce your gag reflex and allow you to brush more often. Have you thought of brushing at different times? Often times brushing with ice water proves helpful as well. Many people gag when they brush first thing in the morning. You may wish to rinse with a mouthwash, which does not contain much alcohol, such as Biotene or Peroxyl, first thing in the morning and then brush a little later on. You may also consider avoiding the areas that stimulate your gag reflex, such as the back of the tongue, until later in the day.

Take care,

DR

annoying dry mouth
OHL