Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

annoying dry mouth

dear dr, I used a whitening toothpaste for over one week and it peeled the skin from my lips.I then used a mouth wash which burnt the inside of my mouth. The next morning i awoke with a dry mouth and dry lips. The inside of my cheeks and lips felt like sandpaper. It has been 7 weeks now and i'm still suffering a dry mouth feeling. The inside of my mouth now feels smooth, however my pallet still feels rough. I have been concerned for the past 7 weeks that i have HIV and its constantly on my mind. Could i have just damaged my mouth. I still am producing saliva.

thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

From what you have written, it appears that you had an adverse reaction to the toothpaste you were using. My advice: do not use that toothpaste again, as you must be sensitive to one or more of the agents it contains. Whenever you damage mucosa, it takes a bit of time for the area to completely heal and return to normal.

What you have described does not sound like anything related to HIV-infection. If you remain concerned about your status, please take the time to have an HIV test.

Take care,

DR

OHL and the Use of Vatrex
I can't brush my teeth