Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Oral Thrush or Coated Tongue

In the picture on HIVdent.org www.hivdent.org/slides/atrophic_candidiasis_tongue2.htm I understand that the area in the middle of the tongue is erthmatous candidiasis, however my question is about the white plaques on the back of this gentleman's tongue. Is that psedomembraneous candidiasis (white thrush) or is that a normal coating of the tongue? My tongue looks similar to this, as I only have a white coating on the extreme back of my tongue. This developed about 2 weeks ago and I am planning on being tested. Thank you

EP

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear EP:

The area in question on the slide located at www.hivdent.org/slides/atrophic_candidiasis_tongue2.htm is not candidiasis, but rather a simple coating of the posterior portion of the tongue. As I have mentioned previously, it is common to have a coating on the posterior portions of the tongue as the cleansing properties of the oral cavity are not as effective in this area. I would suggest that you gently brush this area every time you brush your teeth.

DR

TOOTHPASTE FOR THRUSH?
OHL and the Use of Vatrex