Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

TOOTHPASTE FOR THRUSH?

hi doctor. is there any toothpate you recommend foer people with candida infection? the reason i am asking is because almost all toothpaste kill bacteria only..and ppl with thrush need good bacteria in mouth right? any suggestion> thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

Presently in the US, a toothpaste with significant anti-fungal properties is not available. For my patients who present with candidiasis, I place them on an appropriate antifungal medication such as Mycelex troches or Diflucan. I also stress the importance of good oral hygiene, as it has been shown that Candida species can live in the biofilm surrounding teeth, the periodontal sulcus (the place where you floss) and on the surface of the tongue. The toothpaste I recommend is Total toothpaste, which has good antibacterial properties. I am not concerned with destroying healthy bacteria in the oral cavity via utilization of a toothpaste. One more point, in stronger concentrations, triclosan, the active ingredient in Total toothpaste has been shown to have anifungal properties as well.

Take care,

DR

oral thrush?
Oral Thrush or Coated Tongue